ARTICLE I: NAME
ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP
ARTICLE III: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
ARTICLE VI: AMENDMENTS
BYLAWS OF THE MOUNTAIN INTERSTATE FOREIGN LANGUAGE CONFERENCE
The official name of this organization is The Mountain Interstate Foreign Language Conference (hereinafter referred to as the “Conference”). Its acronym M.I.F.L.C. shall be used in the official correspondence as well as in the program for the annual meeting and on the website.
Membership shall be in accordance with Article VI of the Constitution.
A. The Executive Committee shall administer the affairs of the Conference. The Committee will conduct all business as defined in the Constitution.
The majority of its attending members shall constitute a quorum of the Executive Committee. All decisions of the Executive Committee shall be by a simple majority of voting members present. A tie vote shall be construed as a failure to pass the measure proposed.
B. The President. In addition to his/her duties established in article X. A. of the Constitution, the President shall represent the Conference and be responsible with the Executive Committee for its administration. He or she shall be responsible for the agenda of the annual meeting and provide to the Secretary-Treasurer and to the Editor of the MIFLC Review, the Journal of the Mountain Interstate Foreign Language Conference, the names and addresses of all participants registered officially at the annual meeting. He or she shall also furnish to the Secretary-Treasurer a copy of the current mailing list and a copy of all expenditures for the annual meeting. In addition, the President shall:
1. manage a balanced conference budget over the year, receiving and disbursing funds for the program and meeting;
2. publicize the conference (and maintain its website that year);
3. arrange the publication of the Conference printed program;
4. appoint committees that he/she considers necessary for the organization of the annual meeting, the selection of the keynote speaker, or the writing of proposals to secure additional funds;
5. receive proposals for papers and sessions, have them evaluated by a panel of qualified readers, and organize them into a program;
6. make a report on attendance and finances to the Executive Committee;
7. disburse, by December 31st , to the Secretary-Treasurer and to the Editor of MIFLC Review those portions of conference registration fees designated as for the MIFLC Treasury and the MIFLC Review; and
8. send, by December 31st, to the Secretary-Treasurer, the Editor of MIFLC Review, and the rising President the final list of registrants’ names, affiliations, and addresses; and
9. send labels containing complete mailing addresses of registrants to the editor of MIFLC Review.
B. The Vice-President. The Vice-President shall assist the President in the various duties assigned by the President and, in case of his/her absence, according to article X. B., assume the duties and responsibilities of the President.
C. The Secretary-Treasurer. The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep the records of the Conference and be responsible for funds derived from the annual dues as well as the disbursement of funds as directed by the Executive Committee or by the general Business Meeting. He or she shall make an annual report on the membership and finances of the Conference at the annual Business Meeting in compliance with the provisions of section C., article X, of the Constitution. In addition, he/she should:
1. keep the final list of registrants’ name, affiliation, and addresses received from the President of each year’s annual Conference; and
2. maintain and pay for MIFLC’s rights to its website (www.miflc.org) and annual subscription to a server, as well as any other ongoing general services that have been agreed to by the Executive Committee.
Institutions bidding to host the annual meeting of the Conference shall submit an invitation to the Executive Committee through the Secretary-Treasurer two years in advance of the proposed meeting, but no later than December 15th. It shall include:
A. Approval in writing from two appropriate officials of the sponsoring institution (President or Dean, and the Chair or Head of the department), which is making the invitation to host the Conference.
B. Designation of a person, from the MIFLC members of the foreign language department(s), who will manage the meeting, becoming Vice-President and then President as stated in article X. A. 2. of the Constitution.
C. Agreement to hold the Conference during the three days stated in Article IX. A. of the Constitution.
D. Description of facilities and logistical systems.
F. Agreement to print the program for the annual meeting following the official format approved by the Executive Committee.
A. The annual meeting of the Conference shall be scheduled according to article IX.A. of the Constitution.
B. The Conference sessions shall take place on Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon, and Saturday morning of the week in which the meeting is scheduled as described in article IX. A. 1. of the Constitution.
C. The annual Executive Committee Meeting and the Business Meeting shall take place as directed in Article IX. A. 2. and 3. of the Constitution.
D. A wine and cheese reception shall take place on Thursday evening. The traditional banquet of the Conference, with an invited keynote address, shall take place on Friday evening.
With signatures of twenty-five Active members of the Conference in good standing, an amendment(s) to the Bylaws may be proposed to the Executive Committee at its meeting on the first day of the annual Conference.
Likewise, any member of the Executive Committee may propose to the Committee an amendment(s) to the Bylaws at its meeting the first day of the annual Conference.
On both preceding cases, the amendment(s) shall be approved by a majority vote of the Executive Committee members present, and shall be sent to the Business Meeting of that year for ratification by a two-thirds vote of active members present.
All amendments shall be reintroduced during the following annual Business Meeting for a definite approval by a two-thirds vote of active members present at that meeting. Once approved, the proposed amendment(s) to the Bylaws shall be in effect the day after its approval.
Copyright © 2015, Mountain Interstate Foreign Language Conference. All rights reserved.